Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Quilts

I wanted to get some good pictures of the quilts I made for Christmas gifts before I gave them away so I recruited Honey to hold them up for me before I wrapped them up.

This one is for my uncle. It was a last-minute gift and I didn't have time to piece anything elaborate, so I kept it simple. He'll be confined to a wheelchair for a while, and is in a rehab hospital. I wanted to make him a lap quilt to help keep him warm. The front is made with a burgundy fabric that's shaded a bit so it looks kind of like suede. I used a burgundy and beige gingham for the accent stripe and the back. It's machine quilted with wavy lines from top to bottom with varigated thread, and after washing, it came out crinkly and soft. We're taking it to him in the hospital this afternoon and I think he's going to love it!!


This is the rail fence throw quilt I made for my sister. I used some of the extra fabric from the blocks to make a pieced back and a coordinating striped fabric for the binding. I made a big boo-boo on this one ... sewed the bottom row of blocks on upside down, and I honestly didn't notice it until I looked at this picture!! No time to fix it, so she got it as is. I'm disappointed, but she loved it, and even with the mistake, it will still be nice to cuddle up with on those cold northern Michigan winter evenings.


This one I made for the Poet and his fiance who live in Florida. I used a Hoffman Fabrics Bali Pop in Butterscotch and used the extra to piece the back. This quilt was made from a tutorial on 2nd Avenue Studio . It was a lot of fun to do, and I think I like this one best of all. I wanted something sort of modern for them and this fit the bill perfectly, and the colors will coordinate with their living room furniture.



They haven't received it yet. They're flying up from Florida on Sunday to stay for a week and I'll give it to them then. They're in a wedding on New Year's Eve, so I don't know that we'll see a lot of them while they're here, but I'm always excited to see my first-born when I get the chance!!
We have a quiet day planned today. A trip to the rehab hospital to see my uncle, and then a Christmas dinner of turkey breast with all the trimmings and pineapple upside down cake for dessert for me, Honey and the Wonder Child. The Big Guy has to work (he's an EMT and works for an ambulance company), and KT is spending the day with her family.
Wishing you all and peaceful and happy day today, whatever your plans.
Terri





4 comments:

Shari said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope you have a wonderful week...
Hugs - Shari

Lurline said...

Lovely quilts, Terri - some lucky folks out there - Happy Christmas!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Anonymous said...

The Navajo deliberately make an error in the pattern when they make a rug or anything because only God can make anything that's perfect. Personally, I think the quilt with the backwards row looks great, and is unique!

Anonymous said...

Quilts make fabulous gifts and all the recipients of yours will be thrilled.