Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's a Start


I found this cute beginner's quilt tutorial and I thought that would be a good place to start. It's a baby quilt, and it just so happens, I have a grand niece of nephew due to arrive in November. It was a lot of fun, although I think the block on the bottom right is a little wonky and I might have to work on that a little before I put it all together.

I also did a fabric basket and pincushion from tutorials I found by cruising quilting blogs, and made a cute little tote bag of my own design with some old fabric I had cut out for placemats years ago, but never put together. I've redecorated the kitchen a couple of times since then, so the placemats would be all the wrong color anyway. I also pieced an odd scrappy block, just for fun!!


The pin cushion tutorial was on Crazy Mom Quilts blog (see link on the side-bar). She also had done the fabric basket, but linked to a tutorial to another webside, and I'm sorry, but I can't find that again right this minute. I will post a link when I do though.


A new life for some old fabric. Just the right size to carry around some knitting!!


My scrappy just for fun block!! So I guess I'm on my way!! I can't believe how much fun I've had the past few days pulling out all my sewing stuff again. My mom passed away four years ago and I had boxes of things from her house in a closet that I've never gone through and I did that yesterday. It was raining outside and a good way to spend the afternoon!! She had dozens of quilt books, templates, and patterns. I was like a kid in a candy store!! Somewhere around here, are two quilts that she had partially pieced, but never finished. I'm going to finish those. One is a blue and white Ohio Star and the other is a Log Cabin in greens, whites and reds. I still miss her every day, and it was comforting in a way to be touching her things, and to use them.

I've been haunting the sale fabrics at WalMart and JoAnns to try and build up my fabric stash. It's pretty much non-existant at the moment. I know that will take time, since the budget is a bit tight right now. There are three or four nice quilting shops in town too, and I've been trying to stay away from those for the moment. I'd go nuts!! I am going to take some hints I found online though, and check out thrift shops for mens cotton shirts. I'll post a picture of some of the fabrics I picked up tomorrow.

Until then .... Terri




1 comment:

Myra said...

Looks like you've made a good start and are getting right in there! Good for you!
Great projects, and how wonderful to find unfinished quilt-works of your mother's! 8-)
Happy stitchings!