Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Spirit is Willing ....

I used to sew a lot. I really enjoyed it. But with Honey, my husband of 35 years, three growing boys, a home-based business, and two dogs and two cats packed into a much-too-small ranch house, there was just no space for a sewing room. I had to drag my machine out and set it up on the kitchen table, gather my tools and fabric from the nooks and crannies where I had stashed it to keep it safe from my hooligans, and when meal time came, I had to put it all away again so we could eat. At some point, it became just too much trouble and I quit doing it.

Our youngest son, The Wonder Child, recently moved out and now we truly have an empty nest. Besides having more space, I have time now. So I've been daydreaming about setting up a sewing room in a corner of the basement. I have a long table in the basement already, and an old butcher-block looking kitchen table to use for a cutting table. I bought myself a new steam iron to replace the 35 year old one we got for a wedding gift (can you tell how much I iron?)

I've been surfing the web looking and quilter's blogs and getting all kinds of inspiration. I went to Wal Mart and bought a bunch of fabric. I'm excited. I want to get started. I can sew on the kitchen table until the sewing room is ready, since we don't eat there anymore.

So this weekend I started sorting through boxes of sewing stuff I've had packed away for years. I found a number of unfinished products, a small stash of fabric, a whole box of zippers, a can of buttons, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

Now, after all that, I'm too tired to sew!!

I have several projects I want to work on this week. In the meantime, I may post some pictures of things I've already done. (I haven't been sewing, but I took up knitting this past winter and found I really enjoy that too!!)

So, here I am, entering the blog world. Re-entering the world of quilting and crafting. After so long a soujourn, I'm treating myself like a beginner again.

2 comments:

Myra said...

Welcome empty nester!!! 8-)
I had 3 birdies too. Two girls and a boy. First girl out of nest 3 years ago, Second girl has stayed in the nest, Baby boy was out and back... Though, First girl is moving back to the city later this month and asked Second girl to share the apartment, thus she is going too... Baby boy says he will be gone before the snow flies, but I don't know...? Could it actually happen?
Welcome back to time for you and your hobbies...
Happy stitchings! 8-)

Vicki H. said...

Looking forward to seeing your journey... I have to sew on my Kitchen table but when DD moved out the bedroom off the dining room became the Video Game room/craft storage room.