Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fabric Fun and Stash Building on the Cheap

I went to the grocery store on Monday evening to pick up a few things to get us through the winter storm that was in this week's forecast. I try to make sure we have enough bread, milk, eggs and such to get us through being snowed in for a couple days if necessary. Truthfully, we could very comfortably live out of our pantry for a week or more if we had to, but I like to be prepared!! While I was out, I picked up some fabric for the quilt I'm making for our newest great nephew.

I'm going to do a pattern of my own design that I worked up many years ago, but never made. So we'll see how it turns out!!
I always check the remnant bins when I shop for fabric. It's a good way to build up my stash without spending alot of money. Sometimes I don't find anything, and other times I hit the jackpot!! Monday was a good day. I found all of these 1/2 to 1 1/4 yard pieces for about $1.00 each. I love the chickadees and cardinals, don't you?

And I found these flannel remnants for a dollar and some change for about a yard of each. I see a baby rag quilt in my future!!
That is, if I ever have time to sew again! The rest of my week just got filled with work. We need the business, but it's really hard to work those 18 hour days like we did when we first started out. I don't know how we did it then ... and the kids were still young!! I feel like I'm working harder and getting less done these days and that seems to be all I have the energy for!! And being housebound because of the weather doesn't help any!! Oh, how I long to sit outside and let the sun shine on my face!!
Honey and I are going to try and get away for a weekend soon. I'm still working on that. We both need the break!!
Have a great day.
Terri

3 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the birdie fabric. Good to be prepared for the storm. It's quite the mess in Central Ohio.

Sara said...

Nice fabric...and looks like we are both huddled in for a couple more days...

Shari said...

I remember those winters and not with fondness. I'm still fighting over-stocking my pantry, and I still panic slightly when my petrol guage goes below a half a tank, and I haven't lived in snow since 1988! Retail therapy is just what's called for - and what a bargain! Hang in there! Spring will come and you'll be complaining about the heat before you know it!