Friday, October 24, 2008

Finished by Friday ... and a Disappointment.

Today was a dreary, rainy, chilly Friday. A great day for the chili Honey made for dinner tonight and for curling up on the couch with some wine to watch a movie later tonight. It was also a perfect day for spending the afternoon in the sewing room, which I did ... so I have a Friday finish to share. I completed the top for the mini quilt I did from my Pumpkins Gone Wild Charms. I got two table runners and a mini quilt out of one charm pack, which was on sale for $5.40. A great bargain and I used almost every scrap of it!!


I had a disappointment today too. I've been working on a couple of baby quilts, and I wanted to do free motion quilting on one of them. I've been practicing on small pieces and it's been going well. Until today. I put on some music, donned my quilting gloves, and got my rhythm going, just like more experienced free motion quilters have advised. Everything went fine ... for a while. Then this happened. This is the back of the quilt. The front looks fine. I didn't notice any
difference in the feel while I was sewing, it didn't make any different noises. It's obviously a tension problem, and it did seem to happen right when I "hit my rhythm" so to speak. I had the machine running quite a bit faster than I normally do when piecing or doing other sewing, and the only thing I can think of is that this machine doesn't like to speed!! I'm going to tear all this out tonight and try it again tomorrow, but I'm afraid that maybe my sewing machine isn't up to this kind of sewing and a new one isn't a possibility right now. I have a few ideas to try, and welcome any suggestions you more experienced quilters might have. I was so looking forward to being able to machine quilt. Hand quilting isn't really an option for me any more. Forty years of pounding a keyboard have taken their toll and hand sewing is very painful for me these days.

So, a little setback and a big disappointment. I guess I'll live!! For tonight, I think I'm going to go crack open that bottle of wine and enjoy my movie!!

Have a great weekend.

Terri

3 comments:

Lurline said...

Oh, Terri, what a disappointment - I must tell you I have been there, too, with free motion quilting - have never been able to master it - I have started the big-stitch hand-quilting and love it!
Hugs - Lurline.

Purple and Paisley said...

oh, what a disappointment! i don't know how to free motion quilt either...you poor thing...did the wine help you feel better? =)))))

floribunda said...

Terri, is it possible you forgot to lower the presser foot when you started doing the free-motion quilting? Those thread nests are often the result... the good news is they're really easy to pull out!